Monday, November 21, 2011

Walk On

Well, my son has a girlfriend. And she's an older woman.

Today when I picked Trafton up from his sitter's, she told me that she had something to tell me. Uh oh. Not something a mommy wants to hear- especially about their feisty-usually sweet-but sometimes stubbon son. She continued: "He broke my heart today." Grrrrrreat. Already breaking hearts.

But then I learned what she really meant: Apparently, she was holding another little one and T. was across the room. Now I have to preface this by saying that my sweet boy has only taken 5 or so steps at once. He found his motivation to really move today. When he looked up from his snack, he saw Miss Angela holding another little boy. And that would just not do.

He immediately left his "Puffs" (which is a miracle in itself...my boy does not pass up snacks) and WALKED ACROSS THE ROOM to her. He tried to climb in her lap and take the place of the other little baby. Ha! Jealous much?! Relieved that my son hadn't really done something horrible and thrilled that my son had taken so many steps at once, I suddenly realized that he really loved this woman. And that is okay with me. Actually, it's more than okay.

He loves Miss Angela so much that he was willing to leave a snack and WALK to her. In his mind, Miss Angela is his friend, his love, his protector. He's not ready to share her, and I don't blame him. You know that good old 1 Corinthians definition of love? "Love is patient, Love is kind..." This is the type of love that she shows others.

Almost every day that I pick him up, I arrive at her home to find not only Angela, but also her two sweet daughters....all focused on my little boy. 3 sweet souls all loving on him- he can't get enough. And I can't get enough- this family is amazing! As a new mom, I was nervous about leaving him in the hands of someone that I barely knew. Little did I know, God had orchestrated and arranged everything. He knew that this family would touch ours; He knew that they would offer Trafton's parents an amazing and inexplicable comfort. We have not known this family long, but I feel a closeness with this woman. When I leave him in her arms, I know that my son will be loved. And obviously- he knows he is loved as well.

When I left her home today, I realized that her affection for him MOTIVATED him to move. Not only that, but my son trusts this woman. He knows that she will be there when he crosses the room and falls into her. What motivates us, as adults, to move? Hopefully, the Father's love for us. He motivates me to walk toward him and depend on Him when I feel uneasy and nervous. He motivates me to take risks and do things that I cannot do alone. He will be there when I come and fall into Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment