Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Simple Life

Everything I need to know, I learned in kindergarten...

I remember this poster from when I was itty-bitty. I was barely old enough to read when I first saw it, and I figured it was just a joke between adults. It is not until NOW- at 30 years old and teaching small souls- that I realize the truth behind such a statement.

Here are my classroom rules- we created them together, my students and I:

1. Be nice to each other.
           This seems so obvious, but adults have a hard time doing it, myself included.

2. Don't talk when someone else is talking.
            Wouldn't it be so wonderful to finish a statement without being cut off? Or, even better, wouldn't it be awesome to listen to someone else and really HEAR what they were saying?

3. Keep your hands to yourself.
         Less crime, less hurt, less heartbreak. Enough said.

4. Don't say bad words.
         Although kindergarten bad words differ from our own version, adults could definitely benefit from this one. You don't always know what offends me, and I don't always know what offends you. Goes back to that old adage...If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

5. Clean up after you're done.
         Can you imagine?? Less trash littering our earth, clean homes and yards. Most important- no more shopping carts littering the parking lot because slackers are too lazy to walk fifty feet and put them back where they belong. Seriously, this is one of my pet peeves. This kind of careless, "someone else will do it" attitude is pitiful to me.

6. NO whining!
          Suck it up. I've heard that so many times in my life; sometimes I can actually keep moving and other times, I have to whine about my circumstances. Granted, SOME circumstances are worth whining about. Then, at other times, I think about someone that has it worse off than me and I realize that I need to shut my mouth. Last year, in second grade, my kids would whine and I would play the violin for them and sarcastically encourage their lament. They would stop focusing on what they were upset about and giggle (usually, at least). Not sure if kindergarten students would respond well to this tactic or even understand it. But I think it delivers a message: try to find the humor in your situation or focus on something else and just keep moving. 

My students do a pretty decent job of following our rules. Five year olds could sure teach the rest of the world a thing or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment