Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2 Cor. 5:17

Anyone in Christ is a new creation
The old has gone, the new has come.
(2 Corinthians 5:17)

PRAISE THE LORD for this promise. I learned this verse in high school, and I didn't realize it would carry me into adulthood. His promises have a way of sticking with us, I guess :)

I distinctly remember the immense guilt that set in when I learned what Jesus did. My mind was reeling with all that I had committed in fifteen years, all that had hurt my parents. I called them from camp and cried more than once, asking them to forgive me for all that I had done to bruise their hearts.

This is not God's purpose in exposing us to Jesus; He doesn't want to make us feel horribly guilty and beat ourselves up. Although this was my initial reaction, I later realized that He was simply trying to show me how deep His love is. He is willing to sacrifice His most precious possession for mankind...even for a lousy sinner like myself.

I love to tell people about my past. I get different reactions....some people laugh, some folks share stories with me from their own crazy days, and some don't believe me.Y'all- I was messed up. Not serving anyone but myself and ignoring the big picture. I don't wanna get into specifics because we all have our dark moments from the past. But I also don't want to share all that I've done because, frankly, some of it is embarrassing. Don't misunderstand: I am thankful for everything (well, mostly everything) that I have encountered or experienced. It helps me relate to other people. It helps me stop and think twice before judging someone. Thinking about my past helps me realize how far I've come and how God has blessed me with His ENDLESS forgiveness and mercy. He doesn't keep a list of my wrongdoings; He doesn't make a tally mark every time I hurt someone or do something that He doesn't like.

The most amazing part?? It's not just high school and college that I am forgiven for. I am forgiven and cleansed EVERY DAY. If I ask Him to forgive me, He does so with a happy heart. He rejoices in the fact that I am bringing it to Him; I am bowing at His feet and acknowledging that I cannot live this life without Him. I fail miserably on my own. I need His Spirit. The scary part?? He asks us to extend the same grace and forgiveness to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment