Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Heart

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today has special meaning for so many reasons: my mother AND my mother-in-law share today as their birthday!
We also told our parents two years ago (on Valentine's Day) that we were pregnant with T.
Last, but certainly not least, I get to celebrate loving my husband, sweet boy, family, dogs, and friends on this special day.

We become so caught up and distracted by day-to-day life, and it's nice to spend this day focusing on love and mushy stuff. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could all focus on showing others that we care throughout the other 364 days of the year??

I read something on the internet last night entitled "The Top Ten Worst Valentine Gifts". Number one? Bouquet of red roses. However, they were quick to tell readers that an assorted bouquet is more appropriate. And if your honey picks out the flowers himself?? Plus one point.

                                                            Score one for Christopher :)

Sweet, right? Well, scroll on down and check out the heartfelt card that he also gave me.

Um, yeah. For those of you who don't know him well, this is pretty typical. Heartfelt and sweet, and a little bit red. The way I like it :)

I saw something that described Jesus' sacrifice for us as the ultimate valentine. Amen, I thought. I love the idea of doing something for someone else or serving others on this special day and every other day. I have to brag about one of my dearest friends....

Instead of spending a night at home, she and her small group from church baked cupcakes and took them backstage to a strip club. Yep, you read that right. They took valentines and treats to the ladies who worked at the club. She emailed me and asked me to pray for the night; she was nervous about standing awkwardly nearby while "naked women were flying around" (those were her words... love her). The point of their outing was to show these women that they are loved, no matter what their past/present/future may look like. To show them that Jesus will take anyone and make them shine. What a blessing- my sweet friend stepped out of her comfort zone (waaaaaay out) to feed, encourage, and smile at these women who quite possibly feel used, objectified, and looked down upon.

Makes me think of the Samaritan woman in John 4....she meets Jesus at a well and does not realize who He is. He asks her for water and she cannot believe that He is speaking to her. She later confesses to him in conversation that she does not have a husband. I love His response:
That's nicely put: 'I have no husband.' You've had five husbands, and the man you're living with now isn't even your husband. You spoke the truth there, sure enough.

Ha! He is all-knowing AND has a great sense of humor. What happens next is amazing: He confesses to her that He is the Messiah. He uses this woman, despite others perceiving her as unworthy. He doesn't care about her past. A KING shares something huge with her and allows her to share with her friends and neighbors. What an honor.

1 comment:

  1. That card is hilarious.

    And I love that friend of ours. Glad she is there to challenge me.

    ReplyDelete