Sunday, June 17, 2012

Daddy's Day

Today we celebrate the men in our lives! I know so many great fathers, but David Lee is the epitome of a good daddy. He is special to me for so many reasons...

I am a self-admitted "daddy's girl". I would love to say I'm not spoiled, but I'd be lying and Christopher would probably call me out on it. Actually, I consider "spoiled" to mean that you are given much but don't recognize or appreciate it. I may have been spoiled back-in-the-day, but as I've grown up, I have realized more and more all that my daddy did for us and all that he sacrificed. My dad has always provided for me and my brother, but not necessarily in the way you'd expect. Yes, we grew up with toys and other gifts. But it's more than that. We share a sense of humor and our level (or lack) of patience. He gave us wonderful memories and experiences that we will never forget. He modeled what a husband should be to a wife; I learned what to expect from the man that I married.

My daddy is sensitive. He can crack a joke or tease with the best of 'em, but he can also hold your hand and make you feel better during some tough times. When I was in labor with Trafton, I remember desperately wanting my dad. Once he arrived at the hospital, I remember laying on the hospital bed and having contractions with Chris on one side and my daddy on the other.
This is the day that Trafton smiled for the first time. And who else would he be smiling at?!
Why PAPA, of course.
Here's that sense of humor in play.
Hmm. Don't really need to describe this one.

While he's sensitive, loving, and forgiving, my dad is also one tough cookie. Countless marathons under his belt, daily workouts, and a soldier for God. A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to run a full marathon. During the weeks and weeks of training, I found myself wondering what I'd done. Some training runs felt great, while others were awful. Some days I thought, 'I got this. I can do it.' While other days, self-doubt filled my brain.
On race day, I was a nervous wreck. Daddy and I woke early, shared toast and coffee, and then came up with a distraction for the day. Instead of focusing on the pain, we focused on the 26 names that we wrote on our arms. Each mile, we'd pray for and share stories about the 26 individuals who we agreed on.
I never "hit the wall" or stopped to walk, and I KNOW that this was because of two reasons:
1. God is faithful and steps in when we cannot finish things alone
and
2. My daddy did everything he could to encourage, push, and love me to the finish line.
And it worked.

One of my favorite things about my daddy is his desire to help people. Whether it's his own family or a complete stranger, he would literally give the shirt off of his back if someone needed it.
(He might grumble while doing so, but he'd still offer it.)

Strong, generous, accepting, loving....Christopher has some big shoes to fill as the man in my life :)


No comments:

Post a Comment