Friday, June 8, 2012

Makin' Music

This morning we went to our first "Kindermusic" class: myself, Trafton, and Nana (my mom). I was apprehensive before we even left. T is a little over 19 months old, so I know that he loves to explore and he does NOT love to sit still. (Unless, of course, he is looking at trucks or reading one of his favorite books.)

There were 7 kids there today, all with their mamas. It was a diverse group in more ways than one: ages ranged from 6 months old to an older sibling who was probably around 6 years old. The room was also filled with different skin colors and different abilities. One little boy was adopted and was hearing-impaired. Be still my heart! I had to stop myself from staring at him out of amazement and love.

My worries grew at first while I watched all the other children- how they sat with their mothers and remained quiet as others filtered in. Meanwhile, my curious son greeted everyone by walking right up, staring at them, and sometimes smiling.

I thought...no, I HOPED that once the instructor started to speak and sign (it was a singing and sign language class) Trafton would stop exploring and wandering, and instead sit and listen. Ha! I was a tad bit embarrassed as he continued to check everyone out and make his way around the room. Every so often, he would return to me, squeal "Mama!" and fall into my arms. Other than that, my little independent explorer was doing his thing. I tried to hard to let him "be free", but my inner kindergarten teacher was about to pop when he refused to sit on the carpet and listen. I had to draw the line and get him once he discovered the instructor's doorstop. It was one of those springy types, the kind that you kick or move and it springs back in position with a loud, vibrating "BBBBOOOOOIIIINNNGGGG" sound. Yep, right in the middle of the teacher's chat with the mamas, Trafton discovered this fun, new "toy". He sprung into action (no pun intended) and several heads turned as the sound echoed through the room. He quickly stood up straight, looked right at me, and smiled. It was as if he was proudly declaring, look what I found mama!

My fears lessened as other children slowly loosened up and begun to explore and wander. Despite the physical limitations of some, each child responded in his own way to teddy bears, scarves, balls, and singing. By the end of our time together, children were rolling, crawling, or running every which way.

I have to say: when the instructor dumped several teddy bears in the middle of our circle and let the kids have at it, Trafton made sure that each child had one. He quickly picked one up and I thought 'oh no, I hope he'll share'. Well, my little man sure showed me. Not only did he share the first bear that he picked up, he proceeded to give all the smaller children a teddy. He even picked up one of the last teddy bears and gave it back to the instructor. This sharing might seem like a small victory to some, but I'll take it! I love that he wanted to take care of others' needs.

When it was time to clean up, Trafton continued to make me proud. He stopped playing and began picking things up to hand to the teacher. (Yes, he had a hard time giving up the bag of cheerios that she gave us to play with, but who can blame him?!)

My favorite part of the class?? During the teddy bear song, all the children held a bear and we sang a song and learned some sign language to go along. Once finished, the children were allowed to play and explore with the bears a little more. Liam, the young black child who had been adopted, made his way over the us on the rug. Along with hearing impairment, Liam obviously had some physical limitations as well. Walking was difficult, so he crawled over to Trafton. I asked Trafton to give his bear a kiss. (Background info: T. loves to kiss and hug. "Kisses" involve pursing his lips together and making a humming sound). After my son kissed the bear, he held it out to Liam for him to have a chance to love on the bear. Liam leaned over and pushed his face against the bear and smiled. I think a little precious drool also came out- I LOVED IT. I thought my hormonal behind was going to burst into tears.

Not sure who go more out of the class- T. or his mama :)

No comments:

Post a Comment