Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

Best parts of today:

- Realizing that I am stronger than I thought: woke up sicker than yesterday, and I knew Christopher had to go to work. Two kids, a cold, and rainy weather are no fun, but we made it. Watched movies, played games, and snuggled.

- Seeing my son's heart and loving it: I teared up while talking to Chris on the phone. (It's hard enough to be away from your love for 24 hrs; try being sick and being away from him on Christmas Eve. Boo.) Trafton ran over to me and, no kidding, this is what he said: "Hey, Mama! Hey!" (big smile on his face) "Better! Try!" (hands on my face, then gives me a hug).

- Loving the generosity of others: My sweet neighbor stopped by today with cookies that she had made. They were delish and it was so nice to see another smiling (adult) face.

- Walking outside to find stillness and peace: I went to get the mail and it was foggy and quiet outside. Truly, I couldn't hear anything. I thought about Mary and Joseph on their trek to have the baby Jesus. Christmas is different now, as an adult and as a mother. Yes, it's lost some of it's worldly magic (Santa, reindeer, etc.) but it's so deeply meaningful. This is the day that God chose to give us Christ; He let Mary give birth to this little baby who would save us. He gave us Jesus, even though He already knew what heartbreak lay ahead. 

In the wake of the Connecticut shootings and now the disaster in New York, I personally believe that some people are missing the point. Gun control, mental health struggles, lack of quality parenting...everyone wants to blame someone or something. Truly, these things need to be addressed. But these are not the root of the problem. I believe that our country needs a shift, or a moral revolution. We need to follow the Lord's example and be willing to sacrifice for others. We need to stop and listen, to feel for direction before we react. Fortunately for us, God gives us Jesus this Christmas. He serves as our shining light in this dark world...

Shine Your light so all can see it
Lift it up, 'cause the whole world needs it
Love has come, what joy to hear it
He has overcome
He has overcome

(David Crowder)

No comments:

Post a Comment