Sunday, December 16, 2012

Random thoughts, part 2

What is it with perfume/cologne commercials?! And it seems to get twice as bad during the holiday season. Am I supposed to desperately wish for a bottle of your perfume because there are half naked, modelesque people in your ad who gaze longingly at one another and/or roll around in ocean waves? Or should I rush out and buy something because Britney Spears experiences a life-changing "vision" with her soul mate on the other side of the hotel wall?? I just can't stand the cheesiness.

You know one thing that I love about the holidays (other than the birth of our savior, fires in the fireplace, and gift-giving)? Food with friends. Wonder who the first person was to ask a friend to share a meal. I ate lunch with a dear one today and it's so good for my spirit. Maternity leave has a way of making you feel trapped and antisocial at times. LOVE my babes, but it's nice to get out once in a while. I remember being excited about a trip to CVS after having Trafton; I actually called a best friend on the way and told her how thrilled I was about making the five-minute trek to the drug store.

Stories that I've heard all my life have taken on a new meaning. Trafton's new favorite book is "Piggies!" or The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. If you haven't read it, it's written by the Wolf. He basically excuses himself from any wrongdoing by explaining that he had a cold and was sneezing (hence, "huff and puff"). He goes on to tell readers that he was making a cake and ran out of sugar (thus, he visited his neighbors, who happen to be pigs). I have read this book many times, but to read it with my son is hilarious. He loves for me to read with different voices for each character, and he has learned the story. He anticipates certain parts, and looks at me expectantly right before one of his favorites. He belly-laughs and squeals. I would read it all day long if he wanted to.

Once again, I am reminded of how old I am :) I have a shopping hangover this morning. Seriously felt like I was back in college last night. My saint of a husband stayed at home with another hubby, while his wife and I went to Christmas shop. Well, except we wound up finding great deals for ourselves. We eventually got around to finishing our holiday shopping. About 11:00, when we finished shopping, we went through the drive through at McDonalds. It felt like I was in college again; when I returned home, I snapped back into mommy-mode as Chamblee needed to be fed at 1:30 am. Spent some quiet time with my girl and finally went to bed at 3:00. This morning came EARLY!


*************************************************************************************

All the randomness aside, I heard of the Connecticut shootings  as I drove home from visiting my parents. My first thought? Sickening nausea and a sinking heart for all of those parents. Second thought? If we could afford it, I would keep my babies at home and teach them myself.

So many folks are advocating stricter gun laws and citing that as the reason this happened. Some think that if this young man did not get his hands on a gun, this could have been prevented. Unfortunately, Satan is crafty and this would have transpired despite what our country's laws dictate. Evil is abundant and it is HEART-BREAKING and terrifying. Guns can be completely outlawed and folks will still get their hands on weapons. Drugs are illegal and people still seem to find plenty of them to use. My husband asserts his right to protect our home and our family- through prayer, love, and perhaps owning a gun; the situation in Connecticut makes me agree.

Dear Lord- we ask you to wrap your ginormous arms around all the parents of those sweet slain babies. And pour your love on the families of the teachers who protected their little ones. Give comfort to the first responders who witnessed horrific evil and proceeded bravely nonetheless. Help us all remember that you are SOVEREIGN. These sweet souls are angels- dear ones that help the rest of us realize how precious life is and how we can only depend on You. We love you, God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment