Thursday, December 8, 2011

All I Want for Christmas is...

Red chapstick!
Red chapstick!
Red chapstick!

We had a few minutes before recess today, so I decided to play a memory game with my critters. I also love to ask them open-ended, random questions...you never know what kind of response you'll get. So today, we sat around the perimeter of the carpet. We each had to tell one thing that we would like for Santa to bring us this year. But before we could say our own wish, we had to repeat the things that everyone in front of us had requested.

I started and told the kids that I'd like a new book. (Okay, so I might put a few other things on my list to Santa. But I can't miss an opportunity to convince them that reading is awesome.) The next little girl said "Mrs. Cranford wants a new book. I want a phone." Um, you're five. But okay- we'll roll with this. The next student reports that I would like a book, the chatty friend sitting next to me would like a phone, and that she would like a little dog. (I wish for little dogs too. How come my husband won't listen?)

We have 17 kids, and each wish seemed to grow longer and longer. A couple of boys rambled off about 15 words. I happened to catch "lego guys" in their slew of an explanation. These kids had specific requests....rock n' roll Mickey, an exploder (I have no clue), and new WII games. As the game progressed, I kept thinking 'surely they won't be able to repeat everything'.

Once again, my sweet boys and girls surprised me. They repeated everything as the game continued; no one missed a thing. Finally, one of my girls was on. She repeated the entire list and then declares, without hesitation, that she would like "RED CHAPSTICK". I had to keep myself from laughing. Just to give you some background, chapstick is the new fad in our classroom. Several of my girls bring a tube in their bookbag or their pocket. During quick transitions, or before we leave the room, my cubby area looks like a row of mirrors in the high school bathroom. Girls are lined up and comparing their different lip balms. And, it just so happens that Mrs. Cranford keeps a tube of red chapstick in her desk drawer too. (Yes, I joined the party at the cubbies one day to compare.)

This little girl realizes, perhaps subconsciously, that she is blessed beyond belief. She has an amazing family who surrounds her with love, a home to live in, and good friends. She doesn't feel the need to ask for frivolous things. Now, she might change her mind when she sees the season's latest barbie or American girl doll. But for now, she'll settle for red chapstick. Yes siree- pack that up in your sack, Santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment