Saturday, December 31, 2011

Right place, Right time

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. (Ecc. 3:11)

God's timing is perfect. This is difficult for me to fathom, and even harder to remember during times of turmoil. But I know in my stubborn heart that it is true.

I know that I was leaving the YMCA at the perfect moment several years ago. I left just as the station 20 crew was finishing up their own workout, and I just happened to meet the man who I would later marry.

I am CERTAIN that I was supposed to be in Saranac, NY at the age of 15, listening to a speaker at Young Life Camp. I was supposed to sit on a rock in the rain and accept that Jesus took my place on the cross. God had let me wander for 15 years, and introduced me to salvation on that particular summer evening.
 
I heard God say to me, "You are supposed to be a mother" a couple of years ago. It was during the summer, and a few months later, Chris told me that we should try to have a baby. (Hallelujah, Jesus! A few months to this impatient girl is a long time!) The Lord's timing was, once again, right on track.

I know that my brother was steered through the doors at a Mt Pleasant church this evening, only to discover that the man preaching is someone that I knew from my college days. God's family is so big, and yet so closely-knit. Dave called me and was thrilled about the worship that he had experienced.

I know that the days my father-in-law spent in the hospital were in accordance with God's perfect timing. As difficult as it was, it allowed for me to grow closer to his wife (my mom-in-law) during our time at the hospital. It allowed me to see how deeply rooted her faith is, and how similar we are. (Again...hallelujah, Jesus! Hope I can grow to be more like her.)

I know that I am supposed to be sitting on my couch right now, in jammies at 9:00 pm on New Year's Eve. My husband is reading in the bed. We are old, and I LOVE our life together. A few years back, I would have probably cried if you'd have told me I would be sitting here on my couch, ready for bed, no friends, no party.Today, I am thanking my lucky stars that I have a house and a husband. God let me have my crazy days; He knows that I am right where I need to be now.

I know that my husband was used by God yesterday while he was at work. Some of our dear, sweet friends were in an automobile accident in Charlotte. It was not Chris' area and he would not normally have responded. However, the appropriate station was busy on another call so station 20 responded. As he pulled up to the scene, he recognized the family's van. He saw their fear-stricken faces and went into work-mode. He was able to comfort them the best he knew how; he stayed calm and reminded them that they were okay and that they were protected. Indeed they were....no major physical injuries, just emotional trauma.

Does God manipulate our lives according to His timing and what He wants? Absolutely, and I am thankful that He does so.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Who was preaching? I saw Dave's status...that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete