Monday, December 5, 2011

Labels

This morning, I followed Super Mom to work. That's right- in her Chevy truck, big ol' monster wheels, complete with a pink butterfly on the rear window. Her license plate said "SuprMom" and I had to laugh. I immediately pictured a mother of six or seven kids, in her curlers and sweats, herding her clan into the truck to get to school. It got me thinking about the bumper sticks and things that we use to adorn our car, the things that "define" us to the rest of the unknowing world. I've never been eager to purchase a personalized license plate, mainly because I'm too cheap. But it's also similar to a tattoo: not sure what I would get and what I would be content with for several years (or forever, in the case of a tattoo). And bumper stickers? They make me laugh. Alot.

"Keep honking, I'm reloading" (Why does this remind me of my husband?!)
"Real men love Jesus." (This one also reminds me of him. Don't judge- he is well rounded.)
"Sh*t happens" (Amen.)

Driving down the interstate in my car, I don't know the people driving next to me. The way I drive and my actions/gestures speak for me. Scary, right?! I don't always exude God's love when I'm driving. In fact, it's rare that I make it somewhere without getting frustrated by something on the road. What if you asked other people- friends, family, strangers- to label you with a sticker or sign that describes you? What do you think they'd come up with if you asked for any description- the good, the bad, the ugly?

Hmm. I'm just guessing, but I think I would see...
- Anxious
- Gift Giver
- Affirmed by words
- Moody (no comments are necessary)
- Determined
- Anal...at least about some things
- Hippie Tree-Hugger (This is my favorite. My husband calls me 'Mother Earth' all the time. And proud of it, thank you very much.)

What if my God, my Father could stick a label on me, where everyone could see? Would He choose to brand me with a not-so-positive description, or would He use kinder words? Lucky for me, He sees past the ugly. Here are just a few that I think He would use for ALL of His children:

- My child
- Worthy of sacrifice (and a MAJOR one at that)
- Apple of my eye
- Forgiven
- Alive because of my grace and mercy
- MY BELOVED.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Harding. I know what I'd like people to write on my label, but I'm afraid that's not the way I come across. We definitely need to be more intentional about our Christian walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harding! I love your posts, great little mini-lessons on life! You inspire me! I know one thing for sure, you are a loyal, loving true friend and I feel special just being in your life! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete