Thursday, December 1, 2011

Give Me Your Eyes

I made one of my little ones cry today. While I talked to her, she teared up and cried out, "I want my mommy." Wow- did I feel like poop. And where did she go after I spoke with her about what she'd done? Straight to my assistant/friend Debbie, to get a hug. Ouch. Am I that mean?? Granted, this little girl did not listen and did not follow directions. She sat and did nothing for about 10 minutes while the other children worked away. This is why she and I had to have a chat in the hallway. Was it warranted? Absolutely. Could I have been a bit softer with her? Ummm, yes.

What if God fussed at us every time we did not listen to him or do what we were supposed to do? Phew, my ears would be worn out. I would be crying for my mommy constantly. Fortunately, He doesn't fuss at us or take away play time. He gently steers us in a different direction and smiles as we learn a lesson.

The best part of my day: when the same little girl hugged me at the end of the day and told me that she loved me. Ah-Maz-Ing. I certainly didn't feel like I deserved these special words, but she had already moved on from our earlier confrontation. Why can't we, as adults, forgive and forget?? Why do we have the hardest time letting things go and loving the person despite past conflict? We smile and pretend to move on, but inside we think ugly thoughts or refuse to wipe the slate clean.

There's a Brandon Heath song that I think of alot...

Give me your eyes for just one second, Give me your eyes so I can see
All of the things that I've been missing,
Give me your love for humanity.

If only I could look through God's eyes or show the same kind of love that He does. When we hold on to the past and refuse to forgive, beautiful things pass us by.

No comments:

Post a Comment